Murree is a very popular Hill station in the province of Punjab.Murree is the largest of the resort towns of the Galyat. It was originally established at 7,000 feet during the British Raj, but today it is situated at an altitude of 2,300 m (8,000 ft) above sea level. Murree is a thriving summer resort for the residents of Islamabad, the nearby capital of Pakistan.
Attractions: During the clear spring and autumn, the snow-capped mountains of Kashmir can be seen. Dazzling twilight and cloud effects are a daily feature during the July and August rains. Most of the familiar fruits of Britain, including cherries, raspberries, and strawberries, thrive locally, and the hill station still has a distinct flavor of British times. There is a church, built in 1857, in the centre of the town, which is still in use. Many of the houses above and behind the church are still standing, often as hotels in various states of repair.Murree is an example of the hill stations set up by the British in the hills of Hazara and Galyat during the mid 19th century. Founded in 1851 by the Governor of Punjab, Sir Henry Lawrence, Murree was originally established for the British troops garrisoned on the Afghan frontier in Rawalpindi.The permanent town of Murree was constructed at Sunnybank in 1853. The church was sanctified in May 1857, and the main road, The Mall, was built. Opposite the Church were established the most significant commercial establishments, the Post Office, general merchants with European goods, tailors and a millinery. Until 1947, access to the Mall was restricted for non-Europeans.Until 1876, Murree was the summer headquarters of the [Punjab] Local Government, which was later moved to Shimla.The railway connection with Lahore, the capital of the Punjab Province, made this a place of frequent resort for Punjab officials. The villas and other houses erected for the accommodation of English families gave it a European aspect.
From the center of the Islamabad-Rawalpindi area, Murree is reachable by a well-conditioned main road in a scenic journey of about two hours through densely wooded hills.